Saving Your Text Messages Online

Saving your text messages can be challenging, more or less so depending on whether you are using Apple or Android Devices. Without a bunch of garbage, here's a few different options, simplified for easy reading:

Saving Text Messages on Android Devices

Fortunately, Android devices let you use different apps to manage your text messages. Unfortunately, the default android text message app does not let you export your text messages. Therefore, in order to backup and save your text messages, I recommend you check out one of these apps:

All three of these apps will let you backup your text messages. SMS Backup will let you save your text messages to your Gmail inbox (a little weird, but whatever).

Saving Text Messages on Apple/iPhone devices

On an iPhone, backing up and saving text messages in a format that's easy to view is annyoing. Just backing up texts isn't too difficult.

One way is to simply create a backup to your computer via iTunes. (Jesus, we're still doing this iTunes crap?). Here's how:

  1. Start iTunes and connect your device to your computer.
  2. Select your OS device in iTunes in the top left corner of the iTunes window.
  3. Go to the summary tab and look for the section called Backups. Choose Back Up Now. Blam, you're done.

Of course, you probably don't use iTunes on a computer anymore. In that case, your second best bet is to simply use iCloud. Here's how:

  1. On your iOS device, go to Settings
  2. Tap your name, iCloud, iCloud backup
  3. If iCloud Backup is enabled, your texts are being saved to the cloud. Of course you'll probably run out of Apple's lame 5GB of storage space and have to start paying them even more than you already are...
Other Software Options

OK, great, my text is backed up. But how can I view the texts without restoring from iCloud or iTunes? These other software options might help you get at your text messages, but I haven't tried them so buyer beware:

Good luck and sorry your options are limited. They make it SO easy for you to do 90% of things and impossible to do the other 10%.

The TextSaver is a simple free tech tool to help save bits of text. You can use it to save notes, text messages, archive text messages from an iPhone or Android, save HTML, avoid PDFs, export messages, lists, phone numbers, addresses, really whatever you want. Please note that saved text is not hidden from the public unless you use the password utility. When using a password, the text will only be viewable to those with a password. Use it for fun, use it for war, use it to control the minds of your enemies.